Hot Sauce of the Month Jan 2017
Widow No Survivors Hot Sauce: January 2017
January's HOT Hot Sauce of the Month is Widow No Survivors by Sauce Crafters. This sauce does contain pepper extract, and it is estimated at about 83,000 Scoville Units. It is made with an assortment of hot peppers, including Habanero, plus soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and garlic.
To me, this sauce looks a little gimmick-y at first glance, in part due to the large plastic spider on the neck of the bottle. However, if you like super-hot sauces and are looking for a different take on the Habanero pepper, Widow No Survivors can stand on its own in terms of both heat and flavor.
Who Makes It
This sauce is made by Sauce Crafters, who has been manufacturing award-winning sauces for over 20 years. Located in Florida, Sauce Crafters makes a variety of sauces and extracts with memorable names, from Anal Angst to Satan's Blood.
What It Tastes Like
This isn't a traditional-style hot sauce thanks to the addition of soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic. It's extremely hot and also a bit bitter because of the extract, so this isn't the type of sauce you would pour on your eggs or taco. It's more likely that you'll want to add a few drops of this to your food to give it heat and flavor, depending on your heat tolerance.
Tip of the Month
Our blogger James came up with the following recipe for this sauce, which highlights both the Worcestershire flavor and slight bitterness from the extract in the sauce. James also recommends using this one with any strongly-flavored meat, such as beef or venison, or working it into a recipe with sweet elements to balance the bitterness--perhaps try it in a barbecue recipe with brown sugar and molasses.
James' Warm Green Curry Beef
- 1 lb beef thinly sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 stems of Bok Choy, rough chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of green curry paste
- Widow - No Survivors (5-6 drops or to taste)
1. Stir fry the thinly sliced beef in a tablespoon of oil until cooked through. Remove and set aside.
2. Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan and add the vegetables, stir frying for about 10 minutes or until the carrots start to get soft.
3. Mix the coconut milk and the curry paste, and add Widow - No Survivors to taste (James recommends starting with about five or six drops).
4. Put the beef back in the pan and add the curry milk.
5. Heat through.
6. Serve over rice.
Thanks again for being a part of the club! See you next month!
Don't forget that you also receive 5% off retail pricing on all products you buy--even if they're already on sale! Just log into your account, choose your items, and your discount is automatically applied at checkout. Your 5% off discount is good through the entire duration of your membership.